ALBUQUERQUE (KASA) – The Style studio is filled with the fashion and flavors of India, courtesy of our new friends at Mantra Fashion Bazaar. Below you’ll find the savory and sweet recipe for the Indian Pilaf:
Breakfast rice with nuts and vegetables and chai
mint and cilantro
1. Take two tablesppons of olive oil or ghee in a tagine( or any pan of your choice). A tagine or clay pot lends to slower cooking, allowing the flavors to marry.
2. When warm, add it 4-5 fresh curry leaves. If not available, add bay leaves.
3. Add 1 1Ž2 teaspoons cumin seeds.
4. Add 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds.
5. Add 1 teaspoon of coriander powder.
6. Add 1 1Ž2 teaspoons of turmeric.
7. Sautee until seeds begin to sputter, then add 1/2 cup of finely diced onion, 1 cup of finely diced carrots, and 1 1/2 cup of chopped cauliflower.
8. Salt to taste.
9. Stir for a few minutes and then cover and let it cook till the vegetables are al dente.
10. Add 1/2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper for an extra kick. (optional)
11. When the vegetables are ready add 1 1/2 cup of rice (that has been washed and then soaked in 2 3/4 cups of water for 15 to 30 minutes.)
12. Mix well, and let it come to a boil.
13. Put on low heat and cook until all the water has been absorbed.
14. Stir in walnuts or other nuts of your choice, dried cranberries, and raisins.
15. Garnish with finely chopped cilantro and mint. 16. Enjoy warm with a squeeze of fresh lemon and a cup of chai.